lyrics plugin fetches and stores song lyrics from databases on the Web.
Namely, the current version of the plugin uses Lyric Wiki,
Musixmatch, Genius.com, and, optionally, the Google custom search API.
Fetch Lyrics During Import¶
pip install requests
The plugin uses requests to download lyrics.
When importing new files, beets will now fetch lyrics for files that don’t
already have them. The lyrics will be stored in the beets database. If the
import.write config option is on, then the lyrics will also be written to
the files’ tags.
To configure the plugin, make a
lyrics: section in your
configuration file. The available options are:
- auto: Fetch lyrics automatically during import.
- bing_client_secret: Your Bing Translation application password (to Activate On-the-Fly Translation)
- bing_lang_from: By default all lyrics with a language other than
bing_lang_toare translated. Use a list of lang codes to restrict the set of source languages to translate. Default:
- bing_lang_to: Language to translate lyrics into. Default: None.
- fallback: By default, the file will be left unchanged when no lyrics are
found. Use the empty string
''to reset the lyrics in such a case. Default: None.
- force: By default, beets won’t fetch lyrics if the files already have
ones. To instead always fetch lyrics, set the
- google_API_key: Your Google API key (to enable the Google Custom Search backend). Default: None.
- google_engine_ID: The custom search engine to use. Default: The beets custom search engine, which gathers an updated list of sources known to be scrapeable.
- sources: List of sources to search for lyrics. An asterisk
*expands to all available sources. Default:
google lyricwiki musixmatch, i.e., all the sources except for genius. The google source will be automatically deactivated if no
Here’s an example of
lyrics: fallback: '' google_API_key: AZERTYUIOPQSDFGHJKLMWXCVBN1234567890_ab google_engine_ID: 009217259823014548361:lndtuqkycfu
Fetching Lyrics Manually¶
lyrics command provided by this plugin fetches lyrics for items that
match a query (see Queries). For example,
beet lyrics magnetic
fields absolutely cuckoo will get the lyrics for the appropriate Magnetic
beet lyrics magnetic fields will get lyrics for all my tracks
by that band, and
beet lyrics will get lyrics for my entire library. The
lyrics will be added to the beets database and, if
import.write is on,
embedded into files’ metadata.
-p option to the
lyrics command makes it print lyrics out to the
console so you can view the fetched (or previously-stored) lyrics.
-f option forces the command to fetch lyrics, even for tracks that
already have lyrics.
Activate Google custom search¶
pip install beautifulsoup4
You also need to register for a Google API key. Set the
configuration option to your key.
google_engine_ID, we recommend limiting the sources to
musixmatch google as the other sources are already included in the Google
Optionally, you can define a custom search engine. Get your search engine’s
token and use it for your
google_engine_ID configuration option. By
default, beets use a list of sources known to be scrapeable.
Note that the Google custom search API is limited to 100 queries per day. After that, the lyrics plugin will fall back on other declared data sources.
Activate On-the-Fly Translation¶
pip install langdetect
You also need to register for a Microsoft Azure Marketplace free account and
to the Microsoft Translator API. Follow the four steps process, specifically
at step 3 enter
beets as Client ID and copy/paste the generated
Client secret into your
bing_client_secret configuration, alongside
bing_lang_to target language code.