Echo Nest Plugin¶
All attributes except
bpm are stored in flexible attributes (i.e., not
in files’ metadata).
See the Echo Nest’s page on acoustic attributes for a detailed description.
(Their name for
This plugin requires the pyechonest library in order to talk to the Echo Nest API. At least version 8.0.1 is required.
There are packages for most major linux distributions, you can download the library from the Echo Nest, or you can install the library from pip, like so:
$ pip install pyechonest
To transcode music for server-side analysis (optional, of course), install the ffmpeg command-line tool.
Finally, enable the
echonest plugin in your configuration (see
To configure the plugin, make an
echonest: section in your configuration
file. The available options are:
- apikey: A custom EchoNest API key. You can apply for your own for free from the EchoNest. Default: beets’ own Echo Nest API key.
- auto: Enable automatic metadata fetching during import.
- upload: Send files to the Echo Nest server if they can not be identified
by other means.
- convert: Because the Echo Nest server only supports a limited range of
file formats, the plugin automatically converts unsupported files to
- truncate: Automatically truncate large files to their first 5 minutes
before uploading them to The Echo Nest server (as files with sizes greater
than 50MB are rejected).
In addition to running automatically on import, the plugin can also be run
manually from the command line. Use the command
beet echonest [QUERY] to
fetch acoustic attributes for albums matching a certain query.